Pesky, icky roaches are definitely not something we want in our homes. Learn how to identify German cockroaches, understand their behaviors, and see how Economy Exterminators‘ German cockroach pest control methods can help!
German Cockroach Pest Control: How to Identify German Cockroaches
What do German cockroaches look like, and where do you see them? Usually found in the kitchen area, this pest is small, 1/2 inch to 5/8 inch long, and medium yellowish-brown. German roaches can be distinguished from other roaches by two dark parallel stripes on the anterior, dorsal portion of the thorax.
It is a female wood roach if it is not the size of your thumb and is reddish brown to black. If it is dark mahogany and the size of your thumb, it is a smoky brown roach. It is an American roach if it is larger (up to 1.5 inches), has wings, and is reddish-brown with a lighter border over the head.
Knowing which cockroach species you have is vital since their habits and food preferences vary greatly.
Roaches (cockroaches) are among the most common pests we treat in both our residential pest control and commercial pest control services.
Their mere presence is a nuisance, and they can be carriers of many common diseases.
Where do German Cockroaches Come From?
To begin German cockroach extermination, knowing where they come from is important.
They will come on supplies in a restaurant, especially soda syrups, and be placed in the commercial kitchen or storage areas. They can also come into commercial kitchen facilities by hitching a ride in the handbags of employees.
Where Will You See German Roaches?
- They are initially usually seen in the kitchen at night when the lights are on.
- After a few weeks, they multiply, and the customer will see more when they come to the kitchen at night.
- If left untreated, the roaches will spread to the bathrooms via the water pipes. After that, they go throughout the entire house.
- They can be seen on nightstands, headboards, dressers, coffee tables, etc.
How do German Cockroaches Multiply?
Inside the home, the female lays a light brown egg capsule every 16-24 days – up to 8 egg capsules in her lifetime.
Out of that capsule can come up to 36-48 eggs. That means just one roach can spawn 384 more roaches. As you can see, you can have quite a German cockroach pest control issue quickly. That’s why it’s important to eliminate roach eggs when you treat cockroaches. Simply removing the live roaches won’t fix the problem.
The German cockroach is economically the most significant urban pest in America.
Ways to reduce the conditions that harbor and attract the German roach:
** In the Wilmington area, the Asian cockroach has become established. It is almost identical in appearance to the German cockroach. The Asian cockroach is, however, easily distinguished from the German cockroach. First, it generally prefers to live outdoors, only occasionally entering homes. Second, it is attracted to lights. And third, it flies. German cockroaches, although winged, rarely fly, preferring to run from danger.
Economy’s Cockroach Extermination Program
Economy Exterminators use 4-step approach to solve your German cockroach pest problem:
- Our 1st step is inspecting the property by a Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Charlotte, or Wilmington customer service specialist. It is essential to know the species involved and the severity of the pest problem; this is especially true with German cockroaches. Since this pest reproduces so quickly, the problem can go from a slight infestation to an extreme very quickly.
- The 2nd step would be the initial treatment by a customer service specialist of all areas the inspection revealed as critical. 95% of the initial infestation must be taken care of on the initial service to give you the results necessary for eventual total elimination. So, a thorough treatment must be performed by a highly trained technician. Economy Exterminators uses the newest and most effective materials to solve this pest problem quickly. New baits have proven to be very effective in the past 10 years, but the German roach has started to adapt to these baits, so using the newest and most effective materials is a must. The usual critical areas are the kitchen, bathrooms, pantry, laundry, nightstands, coffee tables, end tables, etc.
- The 3rd step is a 37-point inspection of your property to identify areas that would reduce harborage and food and water for the cockroaches. Sanitation is vital in eliminating and preventing the German roach; client cooperation is necessary.
- The 4th step would be an ongoing maintenance program – our Pest Control Solutions program for the next generation. The next generation comes from the egg capsules placed in protected areas by the female.
To learn more about our German cockroach pest control program, please reach out to our expert exterminators for a free consultation.